Puntarelle with anchovies and capers
Saturday 05 January 2013
Puntarelle is a member of the chicory family, and you can use it in antipasti dishes, or simply toss the leaves into pasta or risotto. Soaking it in iced water will remove the bitterness.
300-400g puntarelle (separate the hearts and leaves, then wash and dry)
10 or so good-quality canned anchovy fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
1tbsp white balsamico or white wine vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
2tbsp olive oil
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
Cook the puntarelle bulbs in boiling, salted water for 3-4 minutes; pop in the leaves a minute before the end of cooking; drain.
Whisk the ingredients together for the dressing; season. Cut the bulbs into slices and toss in the dressing with the leaves, capers and anchovies.
Life & Style blogs
Church of England-raised Michael Williams describes the unexpected joys in learning about his family's Jewish faith
Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
Health warning over 88,000 foreign doctors working in the NHS
Childhood bullying 'can lead to depression and unemployment in adulthood'
Baby catches deadly meningitis infection from cat
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 3 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...