Quail egg shots
Saturday 07 November 2009
I discovered this dish in one of my favourite New York haunts, the Fatty Crab in Hudson Street. It's a scruffy joint that serves great Malaysian-style food.
I've nicked the concept for Mark's Bar and used finely chopped crispy bacon; or you could go veggie and use some chopped-up Chinese black beans. Eat them like shots by just squeezing them into your mouth.
12-16 quails' eggs
2-4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon with the rind removed
2tsp finely-chopped chives
Coarse sea salt to serve
Grill or fry the bacon until crisp then leave to cool and chop as finely as you can and mix with the chives. Bring a pan of water to the boil and carefully lower the quails' eggs in with a slotted spoon. Simmer for 20 seconds, then drain and run under the cold tap briefly.
Spoon the sea salt on to a serving dish, cut the tops off the quails' eggs, stand them in the salt and spoon the bacon mixture on top of each one; serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
Men in tights: getting to the bottom of the latest trend
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Night Nurse could put drivers over new drug limit
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Canadian woman suing police who locked her in van with sex offender who then raped her
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...