Quail egg shots
Saturday 07 November 2009
I discovered this dish in one of my favourite New York haunts, the Fatty Crab in Hudson Street. It's a scruffy joint that serves great Malaysian-style food.
I've nicked the concept for Mark's Bar and used finely chopped crispy bacon; or you could go veggie and use some chopped-up Chinese black beans. Eat them like shots by just squeezing them into your mouth.
12-16 quails' eggs
2-4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon with the rind removed
2tsp finely-chopped chives
Coarse sea salt to serve
Grill or fry the bacon until crisp then leave to cool and chop as finely as you can and mix with the chives. Bring a pan of water to the boil and carefully lower the quails' eggs in with a slotted spoon. Simmer for 20 seconds, then drain and run under the cold tap briefly.
Spoon the sea salt on to a serving dish, cut the tops off the quails' eggs, stand them in the salt and spoon the bacon mixture on top of each one; serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...