Queen scallops with bacon and hedgerow garlic
Saturday 07 November 2009
Little queen scallops are the perfect food to snack on or hand around at parties – you can just slip them in your mouth like an oyster or hand them out in spoons. You can vary what you serve with your queenies, from plain and simple green herbs and breadcrumbs to chopped-up cooking chorizo, simply fried and spooned over the top.
We buy our queenies direct from the Isle of Wight and since taking part in the Queenie Festival on the Isle of Man last year with Mitch Tonks, we have both enjoyed the luxury of freshly delivered queenies on our menus ever since. They are so fresh when they turn up that I put them on the menu raw for the first day, served with a tangy dressing or relish.
20 or so fresh queen scallops cleaned and in the half shell
A couple of good knobs of butter
4 rashers of smoked, rindless streaky bacon, finely chopped
A handful of hedgerow garlic, chopped (or use garlic chives)
Preheat a grill to maximum temperature, place the scallops on a tray, and cook for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small frying pan and cook the bacon for a minute or so; then stir in the hedgerow garlic. Spoon the mixture over the queenies and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...