Raw courgettes, crème fraîche, Parmesan and prosciutto
Sunday 07 June 2009
At this time of year, try these sweet young vegetables in their purest form. They taste more of themselves than when they are cooked and have a lovely, crunchy texture. This makes an interesting, light first course.
1 small, young courgette, without blemishes
40g/11/2oz Parmesan, shaved using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler
Sea salt and black pepper
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
A squeeze of lemon juice
4 tbsp crème fraîche
8 very fine slices of prosciutto
Shave the courgette lengthwise, using a peeler, and place in a bowl with the slices of Parmesan. Season with a little salt and pepper. Be careful not to use too much salt, as both the Parmesan and prosciutto have a substantial salt content.
Dress with half the olive oil and a small squeeze of lemon juice. Divide among four plates, then lay over a slice of prosciutto, top with the crème fraîche, then another layer of courgette, and a final slice of prosciutto. Drizzle over the rest of the oil and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...