Raw courgettes, crème fraîche, Parmesan and prosciutto
Sunday 07 June 2009
At this time of year, try these sweet young vegetables in their purest form. They taste more of themselves than when they are cooked and have a lovely, crunchy texture. This makes an interesting, light first course.
1 small, young courgette, without blemishes
40g/11/2oz Parmesan, shaved using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler
Sea salt and black pepper
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
A squeeze of lemon juice
4 tbsp crème fraîche
8 very fine slices of prosciutto
Shave the courgette lengthwise, using a peeler, and place in a bowl with the slices of Parmesan. Season with a little salt and pepper. Be careful not to use too much salt, as both the Parmesan and prosciutto have a substantial salt content.
Dress with half the olive oil and a small squeeze of lemon juice. Divide among four plates, then lay over a slice of prosciutto, top with the crème fraîche, then another layer of courgette, and a final slice of prosciutto. Drizzle over the rest of the oil and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...