Red mullet on toast with olives
The robust flavour of red mullet works very well with Mediterranean ingredients such as olives and capers.
4 small red mullet fillets, about 80g each, or 2 halved fillets from a larger fish
A couple of knobs of butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of white bloomer-type bread
3tbsp tapenade mixed with a tablespoon of chopped capers
8 green or black olives, roughly chopped
2tbsp olive oil
Melt the butter in a heavy or non-stick frying pan. Season the red mullet fillets and fry them, skin side down first, over a medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side. Toast the bread on both sides. Spread the tapenade mixture on the toast, top with the red mullet and place on warmed serving plates. Mix the chopped olives with the olive oil and spoon over the mullet.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...