Red mullet with spring vegetables
Serves 4 as a starter or main
The vibrant combination of the red mullet and green vegetables makes this a lovely light spring starter or main course. You can use whatever vegetables you can get hold of and you could even add a few spears of thin sprue asparagus or samphire.
4 or 8 fillets of red mullet, scaled and boned
1tbsp olive oil
50g podded weight of peas, cooked
50-60g podded weight of young broad beans
8 baby leeks or spring onions, cooked
2tbsp white wine
120g butter, cubed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 175C/gas mark 4. Place the red mullet fillets on a baking tray, skin-side up, season and then brush with olive oil.
Bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes until just cooked. Meanwhile, place the wine in a saucepan and simmer until it has almost evaporated, then remove it from the heat and whisk in the butter until it has emulsified.
Reheat the vegetables in a little water, drain and mix with the sauce.
Season to taste, spoon on to serving plates and then place the red mullet on top. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
City traders pay £200 for a quick hangover cure
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
The Pirate Bay is back — but key staff have left to start a rival site
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...