Red mullet with spring vegetables
Serves 4 as a starter or main
The vibrant combination of the red mullet and green vegetables makes this a lovely light spring starter or main course. You can use whatever vegetables you can get hold of and you could even add a few spears of thin sprue asparagus or samphire.
4 or 8 fillets of red mullet, scaled and boned
1tbsp olive oil
50g podded weight of peas, cooked
50-60g podded weight of young broad beans
8 baby leeks or spring onions, cooked
2tbsp white wine
120g butter, cubed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 175C/gas mark 4. Place the red mullet fillets on a baking tray, skin-side up, season and then brush with olive oil.
Bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes until just cooked. Meanwhile, place the wine in a saucepan and simmer until it has almost evaporated, then remove it from the heat and whisk in the butter until it has emulsified.
Reheat the vegetables in a little water, drain and mix with the sauce.
Season to taste, spoon on to serving plates and then place the red mullet on top. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...