Red mullet with tomatoes and black olives
There are some nice red mullet around at the moment which can be served as fillets or whole. Red mullet have a rich and unique flavour and lend themselves to both strong and delicate accompaniments. You can serve smaller portions of mullet as a starter.
8 small or 4 large red mullet fillets weighing about 15g each
2-3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
16 black olives, stoned
3-4tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus a little extra for brushing
½tbsp good-quality white wine or cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a pan of water to the boil and have a bowl of cold water ready. Make a cross on the top of the tomatoes with a knife and plunge them into the boiling water. Count to 10, then remove them with a slotted spoon into the bowl of cold water.
Remove the skins, they should just easily peel away; if not, repeat the process for about 4-5 seconds. Quarter the tomatoes and squeeze the seeds out. Chop the tomatoes into rough ½cm dice and transfer to another bowl. Cut the olives more or less the same size and mix with the tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar; season to taste.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Season the red mullet fillets and brush with a little olive oil; place them on a baking tray and bake for 6-7 minutes, until just cooked.
Spoon the tomato mixture on to serving plates and place the red mullet fillets on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...