Rhubarb and quince with prosecco and thick Jersey cream
Sunday 19 April 2009
100g/31/2oz caster sugar
The peel of one lemon
3 bay leaves
1 vanilla pod, split in half lengthwise
Enough water to just cover
For the rhubarb
5 sticks of rhubarb
100g/31/2oz caster sugar
200ml/7fl oz prosecco or another sparkling wine
120ml/4fl oz thick Jersey cream
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Now cut the quince in half and then into quarters lengthwise. Place on a baking tray and add the sugar, lemon, bay leaves and vanilla pod, and enough water to cover.
Cover with foil and place on the middle shelf of the oven, bake for an hour, then remove the foil and return to the oven to roast for a further 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, drain the water and allow to cool.
Now wash the rhubarb and cut into two-inch pieces. Place it in a heavy-based pan and sprinkle over the sugar, pour in the prosecco and place over a low heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until the rhubarb has softened but still retains its shape.
Remove from the stove and allow to cool to room temperature. When both the fruits are cool, place in the fridge to chill for an hour or two. To serve, layer the rhubarb and quince on to dessert plates, interspersed with generous dollops of thick Jersey cream.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: how to banish the demon from your Facebook and Twitter news feed
Another transgender model lands contract with top agency IMG
Man charged £223,000 for six craft beers
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 2 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
- 5 Paracetamol Challenge: Mother of girl killed by overdose pleads with teenagers to ignore 'craze'
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...