Risotto with San Daniele ham
Serves 4 as a starter
Sunday 14 August 2011
1 medium-sized yellow onion, finely chopped
200g/7oz Arborio rice
1 litre/1¾ pints chicken stock
100g/3 fl oz dry white wine
2 tbsp crème fraîche
300g/10oz unsalted butter
The zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices of San Daniele ham
Place a medium-sized, heavy based pan over a fairly low heat and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the onion and sweat until soft and translucent – this will take about 10 minutes.
Now add the rice and stir well to combine. Warm the chicken stock in a second pan and keep to one side.
Turn up the heat under the rice and add the wine, allow to bubble and reduce, stirring frequently.
Now add the stock a ladle at a time, allowing each ladle to reduce before adding the next. Stir gently and often.
Once all the stock has been incorporated, the rice should be cooked through yet still retain a little bite. Stir in the crème fraîche, butter and lemon zest, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finally, add a lid to the pan and let it sit for five minutes before spooning into warm bowls. Lay the San Daniele gently over the top and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...