Risotto with San Daniele ham
Serves 4 as a starter
Sunday 14 August 2011
1 medium-sized yellow onion, finely chopped
200g/7oz Arborio rice
1 litre/1¾ pints chicken stock
100g/3 fl oz dry white wine
2 tbsp crème fraîche
300g/10oz unsalted butter
The zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices of San Daniele ham
Place a medium-sized, heavy based pan over a fairly low heat and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the onion and sweat until soft and translucent – this will take about 10 minutes.
Now add the rice and stir well to combine. Warm the chicken stock in a second pan and keep to one side.
Turn up the heat under the rice and add the wine, allow to bubble and reduce, stirring frequently.
Now add the stock a ladle at a time, allowing each ladle to reduce before adding the next. Stir gently and often.
Once all the stock has been incorporated, the rice should be cooked through yet still retain a little bite. Stir in the crème fraîche, butter and lemon zest, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finally, add a lid to the pan and let it sit for five minutes before spooning into warm bowls. Lay the San Daniele gently over the top and serve.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...