Risotto with San Daniele ham
Serves 4 as a starter
Sunday 14 August 2011
1 medium-sized yellow onion, finely chopped
200g/7oz Arborio rice
1 litre/1¾ pints chicken stock
100g/3 fl oz dry white wine
2 tbsp crème fraîche
300g/10oz unsalted butter
The zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices of San Daniele ham
Place a medium-sized, heavy based pan over a fairly low heat and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the onion and sweat until soft and translucent – this will take about 10 minutes.
Now add the rice and stir well to combine. Warm the chicken stock in a second pan and keep to one side.
Turn up the heat under the rice and add the wine, allow to bubble and reduce, stirring frequently.
Now add the stock a ladle at a time, allowing each ladle to reduce before adding the next. Stir gently and often.
Once all the stock has been incorporated, the rice should be cooked through yet still retain a little bite. Stir in the crème fraîche, butter and lemon zest, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finally, add a lid to the pan and let it sit for five minutes before spooning into warm bowls. Lay the San Daniele gently over the top and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...