Roast guinea fowl with mustard fruits
Mustard fruits is an Italian relish with a real kick; it's made with fruits and mustard and is available at quality delis and supermarkets. They are traditionally served with hot or cold meats such as baked or boiled ham, duck and suckling pig. I roasted a guinea fowl not so long ago and they worked a treat, giving the bird's flavour a new dimension. You can serve this with traditional seasonal roast accompaniments or a good green salad containing some spring vegetables.
1 guinea fowl weighing about 1.5kg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A little vegetable or corn oil for basting
A few sprigs of rosemary
Half a head of garlic
Mustard fruits, to serve
Preheat the oven to 240/gas mark 8. Season the guinea fowl inside and out and put the rosemary and garlic in the cavity. Place in a roasting tray on its back and brush with a little oil. Roast for 20 minutes then turn the oven to 200C/gas mark 6 and cook for a further 25-30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes, then either joint it on the bone or carve it off the bone and serve the mustard fruits separately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...