Roasted cauliflower with black garlic
You might have seen black garlic in specialist shops and wondered what on earth to do with it. The South West Garlic Farm, near where I live in Charmouth, produces it. The garlic bulbs there are very slowly dried at a low temperature for a month, then dried at an ambient temperature for another week. This process lightly caramelises the natural sugars in the garlic cloves and they turn a charcoal-like colour.
It can be used in soups, sauces, crushed into a mayonnaise or simply tossed into a vegetable dish like this.
1 head of cauliflower, cut into large florets and saving the outer green leaves and stems
2-3tbsp rapeseed oil
1 bulb of black garlic with the cloves separated
2tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Cook the cauliflower florets and outer leaves in boiling, salted water for about 4-5 minutes, so that it's still a little firm, and drain.
Heat the olive oil in a roasting tray in the oven, add the cauliflower and season. Roast, giving the occasional stir, for about 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned and then, at the last minute, stir in the butter, black garlic and parsley.
Transfer to a serving dish, pouring over the oil and juices from the roasting tray.
Life & Style blogs
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
MIT robots can now clear hurdles as they run
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Reproduction: how much do you remember from your biology GCSE?
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...