Roasted radicchio with bacon and pangritata
Radicchio is one of those winter salad leaves that goes in and out of vogue but personally I'm a fan, especially when it's grilled or roasted. The flavour changes once cooked and it makes a perfect starter or side dish.
2 large or 4 small heads of radicchio, quartered, washed and dried
4-5tbsp olive oil
120g pancetta or smoked streaky bacon cubes
For the crust
2tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
A couple of good knobs of butter
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Heat an ovenproof pan on the stove with a tablespoon of the olive oil, gently fry the pancetta for a couple of minutes, turning them as they are cooking, add the radicchio, season, spoon over the rest of the oil, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes; remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes, turning the radicchio and basting with the oil as it's cooking.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and brown the breadcrumbs on a medium heat, turning them with a spoon as they are cooking until lightly coloured. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan and season.
Transfer the radicchio and pancetta to a warmed serving dish, spoon over the oil and scatter the crumbs over.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...