Roasted rhubarb with mascarpone
Sunday 01 February 2009
Here contrasting flavours and textures work well to create a rich, yet palate-cleansing dessert
4 sticks winter rhubarb
100ml/31/2fl oz verjus or water
150g/5oz golden caster sugar
The peel of one orange
One vanilla pod, split in half lengthways
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Wash the rhubarb, trim the base and slice it into two-inch pieces.
Place in a baking tray and pour over the verjus or water, sprinkle over the sugar and orange peel, and tuck the vanilla pod into the centre.
Seal with tin foil and place on the middle shelf of the warm oven. Roast for 20 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft but not quite falling apart.
Remove from the oven, take off the foil and allow to cool to room temperature.
Once the rhubarb has cooled, divide between four plates and place a dollop of mascarpone on top of each.
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle to mark 81st anniversary of iconic photograph
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...