Roasted tomato and red pepper purée
Sunday 27 June 2010
This rustic purée sits happily on the mezze plate, but is also lovely served with grilled, firm-fleshed white fish or chicken.
4 red peppers
2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
6 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 red chillies, sliced
Bunch of coriander, washed
1 tbsp roasted spice mix
1 tbsp dried mint
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
125ml/4fl oz plain yoghurt
1/2 bunch of mint, leaves only
Heat the oven to 100C/220F/Gas 1/4. Halve, core and deseed the red peppers, removing all the white pith. Put in a roasting pan with the onion, garlic, tomatoes and chillies.
Separate the coriander leaves and set aside; finely chop the roots and stems and scatter over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the spice mix and dried mint, then drizzle over the oil and vinegar. Season and toss to mix. Slow-roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the red peppers are soft and slightly caramelised.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature, then whizz in a blender with yoghurt, mint and the coriander leaves until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning – it will need salt.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...