Root vegetable and winter savoury salad
Saturday 12 February 2011
A plate of simply cooked root vegetables can make a delicious starter or part of a selection in a buffet. You can vary the vegetables and use celeriac, Jerusalem artichokes, kohlrabi, etc.
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into batons 4cm by cm
1 small half-head of swede, peeled and cut into batons 4cm x cm
1 parsnip, peeled and cut into batons 4cm x cm
1 small or half-head of celeriac, peeled and cut into batons 4cm x cm
ltr or enough vegetable stock to just cover the vegetables
100ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2tsp winter savoury or thyme
1tbsp cider vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
A handful of dandelion leaves or small tasty salad leaves, washed and dried
Put the carrots and swede in a pan with the olive oil and vegetable stock, season, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, add the parsnip and celeriac and continue simmering for another 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat, add the savoury and leave to cool in the liquid.
While the vegetables are cooling, skim off the olive oil into a bowl and whisk in the mustard and cider vinegar and season.
To serve, toss the vegetables and dandelion in the dressing and arrange on serving plates.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6S price: new handset to remain as expensive, Apple unlikely to increase phones' storage
A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life'
Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
Every hospital patient will be given a barcode as part of plan to create a 'paper free' NHS
No, a porn star wasn't tricked into performing a sex act on her brother
- 1 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 4 A Chinese journalist has appeared on state television 'confessing' to causing the stock market chaos
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...