Rose veal tartare
Saturday 02 January 2010
Farmers are starting to wake up to the fact that there is actually a demand for veal in this country – and the flavour of naturally (and ethically) reared British veal is so much better than that of the imported Dutch veal. As most veal is fairly tender, you can use more cuts for a raw tartare than you could with beef, so leg, sirloin, fillet and flank can be used.
500g very fresh lean veal meat
2-3 medium shallots, peeled, halved and very finely chopped
50g capers, drained, rinsed, finely chopped
50g gherkins, finely chopped
2tsp brandy brandy
tbsp tomato ketchup
2tsp Worcestershire sauce
A few dashes of Tabasco
1tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
With a very sharp chopping knife, chop your veal as finely as possible. Mix all of the ingredients together and season to taste. You may wish to add a little more Tabasco, ketchup or Worcestershire sauce. Spoon the veal tartare on to a plate or, if you prefer, push it into a ring mould.
Serve with a leaf salad and chips, or toast – or even a raw egg yolk, for the full "raw food" effect.
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Kristen Stewart opens star-studded Chanel show with Julianne Moore, Rita Ora and Lily Collins on the runway
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
iJobs Food & Drink
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To work within the Visitor Experience Departm...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...