Rose veal tartare
Saturday 02 January 2010
Farmers are starting to wake up to the fact that there is actually a demand for veal in this country – and the flavour of naturally (and ethically) reared British veal is so much better than that of the imported Dutch veal. As most veal is fairly tender, you can use more cuts for a raw tartare than you could with beef, so leg, sirloin, fillet and flank can be used.
500g very fresh lean veal meat
2-3 medium shallots, peeled, halved and very finely chopped
50g capers, drained, rinsed, finely chopped
50g gherkins, finely chopped
2tsp brandy brandy
tbsp tomato ketchup
2tsp Worcestershire sauce
A few dashes of Tabasco
1tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
With a very sharp chopping knife, chop your veal as finely as possible. Mix all of the ingredients together and season to taste. You may wish to add a little more Tabasco, ketchup or Worcestershire sauce. Spoon the veal tartare on to a plate or, if you prefer, push it into a ring mould.
Serve with a leaf salad and chips, or toast – or even a raw egg yolk, for the full "raw food" effect.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...