Salad of cooked spinach and peas with rocket
Sunday 03 May 2009
I really like the combination of cooked and raw food in salads – it creates different textures. Pea shoots (the leaves of the pea plant) are a lovely addition, tasting almost more of the peas than themselves. I serve this salad as an accompaniment to fish.
250g/8oz peas, podded
200g/7oz young spinach leaves, well rinsed
A handful of rocket
A handful of pea shoots
1tbsp Parmesan, grated
The zest and juice of one lemon
Sea salt and black pepper
80ml/3fl oz olive oil
Heat a well-salted pot of water. Once boiling, add the peas and cook for four minutes. Drain and set aside.
Place a separate pan over a medium heat and, when warm, add the well-rinsed spinach – no need to add water – and cook until just wilted.
Drain and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze out the water in the spinach using your hands – it is important the spinach is as dry as possible, or the salad will taste watery.
Wash and pat dry the rocket and pea shoots and add to the bowl along with the peas and spinach.
Season well with Parmesan, lemon zest, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss together gently with your fingers.
Life & Style blogs
Best three-ingredient recipes: From Nutella brownies to mac and cheese and pulled pork
Scientists have discovered a new taste that could profoundly change the way we eat
Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
Windows 10: Is it worth downloading new PC operating system?
The lesser known erogenous zones - and how to find them
- 1 Dentist who illegally killed Cecil the lion blames local guides for the scandal
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: American dentist revealed as the killer of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe
iJobs Food & Drink
£25k plus Benefits: Guru Careers: A Carpenter and Maintenance Operator is need...
£17600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum cares for one of the largest...
£12500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Drivers wanted for a family run...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful leisure company is seek...