Salad of cooked spinach and peas with rocket
Sunday 03 May 2009
I really like the combination of cooked and raw food in salads – it creates different textures. Pea shoots (the leaves of the pea plant) are a lovely addition, tasting almost more of the peas than themselves. I serve this salad as an accompaniment to fish.
250g/8oz peas, podded
200g/7oz young spinach leaves, well rinsed
A handful of rocket
A handful of pea shoots
1tbsp Parmesan, grated
The zest and juice of one lemon
Sea salt and black pepper
80ml/3fl oz olive oil
Heat a well-salted pot of water. Once boiling, add the peas and cook for four minutes. Drain and set aside.
Place a separate pan over a medium heat and, when warm, add the well-rinsed spinach – no need to add water – and cook until just wilted.
Drain and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze out the water in the spinach using your hands – it is important the spinach is as dry as possible, or the salad will taste watery.
Wash and pat dry the rocket and pea shoots and add to the bowl along with the peas and spinach.
Season well with Parmesan, lemon zest, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss together gently with your fingers.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...