A more practical version of the authentic salmon chirashi you get in sushi restaurants that means you don't have to trawl the shops for sashimi-grade fish. I like to think this is just as delectable.
225g/7½oz short-grain brown rice
2cm piece ginger, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin
500g/1lb piece salmon fillet
2 pak choi, halved and broken into leaves
½ cucumber, chopped
4 spring onions, sliced
Toasted sesame seeds
Sesame oil, to drizzle
Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, or until just tender. Mix the ginger, garlic, tamari and mirin in a bowl, add the salmon then allow to stand for 15 minutes. Remove the salmon from the bowl and drain.
Heat a large, non-stick pan, add a drop of light-flavoured oil then the salmon skin-side down and cook for 3 minutes, or until crisp. Flip over the salmon and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Pour the marinade into the pan, add the pak choi, and cook until tender.
Divide the rice between 4 bowls and spoon over the sauce and pak choi. Flake the salmon into large chunks and add to the bowl along with the cucumber and spring onions. Serve with some pickled ginger, sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...