Salted roast beef
Saturday 25 April 2009
This recipe works similar to a cure or as a simple brine – and you will not be disappointed with the results. The most important thing is to use a simple sea salt as opposed to a finer variety and not to re-salt the meat before cooking.
2kg/4lb beef fillet
2 tbsp sea salt (1 tbsp per kilo)
A little freshly ground pepper
Using a clean, slightly damp cloth, pat the meat dry and lay it on a clean chopping board. Do not remove any of the outside layer of fat, as this will add to the succulence and taste of the meat. Salt the meat and place in a container, covering the meat with a damp, clean cloth. Place in the fridge and allow the meat to cure for 24 hours.
To cook, set your oven to its maximum temperature, wipe the meat clean and season with a little pepper but no additional salt. Place in a pan and roast for no more than 5 minutes per kilo. So, in this case, roast the 2kg beef fillet for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave in its pan, covering the meat loosely with foil. Allow to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes. Serve with whatever you choose – I serve it as simply as possible, with a little freshly grated horseradish folded through some crème fraîche and a drop or two of red-wine vinegar.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The positions above are available either part ...
£25K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Fitness Centre Supervisor / Duty Manager ...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Museum is dedicated to exp...
£20600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Museum is dedicated to exploring th...