Sardines with mint anchovy and chilli
Sunday 29 March 2009
This makes a delicious and easy starter that can be made in minutes. Serve it simply with good bread and unsalted butter.
For the dressing
2 good-quality anchovy fillets
1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped very finely
1 small bunch of mint, leaves only, chopped finely
80ml/3fl oz olive oil
For the fish
8 very fresh sardines (ask your fishmonger to fillet them for you)
For the dressing, chop the anchovies finely and place in a bowl, add the chilli and mint and pour in the olive oil. Stir well to combine and set aside while you cook the sardines.
The pan will need no oil, as the sardines will give off enough as they cook. Season well with salt, skin-side only, and place a medium-sized non- stick pan over a medium heat.
Once the pan is hot, add the sardines, ensuring you place them well apart, skin-side down. Cook without turning for two to three minutes. When done, the skin should be crisp and the flesh will have lost its translucence.
Serve immediately on a warmed plate, then spoon over the dressing.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
Worrying about your weight makes you more likely to pile on the pounds, researchers claim
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Malnourished two-year-old found being breastfed by dog in Chile
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 YouTube video shows woman verbally abusing takeaway staff 'because they used green peppers'
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...