Scallop sashimi with chilli-carrots and cucumber
Saturday 17 April 2010
Raw scallops are one of my favourite shellfish to use for sashimi; in fact, when they are fresh straight out of the sea, it almost seems a shame to cook them. Try to buy them live in the shell and get your fishmonger to cut and clean them for you. (I wouldn't use the roe for this dish but if you save them and slice them and toss into some pasta with butter, chilli and olive oil they can be really delicious.)
4 large scallops, cleaned
2 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into neat 3cm batons
a cucumber, cut into neat 3cm batons without the seeds in the centre
1 medium green chilli, very thinly sliced with the seeds
120-150ml rice wine vinegar
Put the carrots into a non-reactive container or bowl with the sliced chilli and cover with the rice vinegar and leave in the fridge overnight. Mix in the cucumber and leave for 20 minutes.
To serve, cut each scallop into three or four slices, arrange the carrots and cucumber on serving dishes, lay the scallops neatly on top and spoon over a little of the vinegar.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...