Scrambled eggs with crab
Saturday 10 April 2010
Now this is something that would be easy to do for a dinner party and is sure to go down well with your guests. I've made it several times with sea urchins, but the dish is equally delicious with crab. If you buy a live crab and cook and prepare it yourself you can enjoy getting another bisque out of it; or you could get your fishmonger to do it for you and ask him to save you the shells to make a stock.
4 small 1cm-thick slices of bread from a bloomer-style loaf
8 medium free-range eggs, beaten
60ml double cream
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1tbsp finely chopped chives
The brown and white meat from a 500-600g crab, or about 150g white meat and 8g brown
Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add the eggs, season and stir over a low heat, ensuring the eggs don't catch on the bottom of the pan.
Add the cream and a spoonful of the brown crab meat and continue cooking briefly so the eggs are nice and soft.
Remove from the heat and spoon immediately on to warmed serving plates; spoon the rest of the brown crab meat into the centre of the eggs and scatter the white meat and chives all over. Serve with buttered toast.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...