Shaved courgette, fennel and red onion salad
Freshly picked courgettes sliced into thin slivers and eaten raw may not seem the obvious way to serve this vegetable, but combined with just a few other simple ingredients it works a treat.
Julian Biggs, my right-hand man, came up with this little gem of a salad to utilise the fresh courgettes we get in to our restaurants from suppliers around the country.
2 medium courgettes
1 young head of fennel
1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
For the dressing
The juice and grated zest of half a lemon
1tbsp cider vinegar
4-5tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, cut the courgettes lengthways as thinly as possible. Halve the fennel and remove the root. Slice the fennel as thinly as possible and mix in a bowl with the courgettes and red onion.
Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing, then toss the vegetables in and season. Leave for 8-10 minutes, then serve. Be sure not to leave them much longer, or the courgettes will go soggy.
Life & Style blogs
Blood test that predicts Alzheimer's disease
Lego told off by 7-year-old girl for promoting gender stereotypes
Scientists find the origin of 'bad' fat linked to heart disease and cancer
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Stevia wonder: The plant that's a super sugar alternative – and free from calories and carbs
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote in North Korean elections
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We're looking for...
£18000 - £34000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Group: Becom...
£18000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...
£18000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre First and Business: This i...