Shirataki noodles with cucumber and ponzu
These are delicious, translucent noodles made from the ground root of the yam. They have no bad carbs and are great for those who have problems with blood sugar and cholesterol.
You can even use these to create a dessert – perhaps tossed in a ginger-flavoured fruit syrup or mixed with passion-fruit pulp.
One-third of a cucumber
150g drained weight of shirataki noodles
2tbsp dark ponzu vinegar
2 spring onions, finely sliced
A couple of good pinches of Japanese chilli flakes
Cut the cucumber into 5cm lengths, then thinly slice around the seeds and cut the slices into matchstick-like shreds. Cook the noodles in boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes and drain; toss the cucumber in a bowl with the noodles, while they are still warm, with the ponzu and spring onion. Season and serve in a bowl scattered with the Japanese chilli flakes.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
WhatsApp: How to discover who your best friends are - using a hidden tool within the application
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 4 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 5 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...