Shirataki noodles with cucumber and ponzu
These are delicious, translucent noodles made from the ground root of the yam. They have no bad carbs and are great for those who have problems with blood sugar and cholesterol.
You can even use these to create a dessert – perhaps tossed in a ginger-flavoured fruit syrup or mixed with passion-fruit pulp.
One-third of a cucumber
150g drained weight of shirataki noodles
2tbsp dark ponzu vinegar
2 spring onions, finely sliced
A couple of good pinches of Japanese chilli flakes
Cut the cucumber into 5cm lengths, then thinly slice around the seeds and cut the slices into matchstick-like shreds. Cook the noodles in boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes and drain; toss the cucumber in a bowl with the noodles, while they are still warm, with the ponzu and spring onion. Season and serve in a bowl scattered with the Japanese chilli flakes.
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Mother's Day 2015: When is it – and how did it first come about?
Children warned to not listen to music for more than one hour a day
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...