Makes about 30 (serve 2-3 per person)
Sunday 11 May 2008
These lovely crisp shortbreads were served simply with a glass of whisky – a very good way to finish a meal.
750g/26oz plain flour
500g/16oz cold butter
250g/8oz caster sugar
Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub together with your fingertips – you are aiming for a breadcrumb consistency.
When you reach that stage, add the sugar and rub it in until you have a smooth paste. It will be a little crumbly but that comes from the shortness of the mix. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 8mm-thick and then cut into rounds with a 3cm pastry cutter.
Place on baking trays lined with baking parchment and bake for 10-15 minutes. The shortbread should be very pale, so be careful not to overcook it.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
'Stiff upper lip stoicism' keeps people with cancer symptoms away from GP
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
'Cigarettes, whisky, and wild, wild women'
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Support Technician - Y...