Makes about 30 (serve 2-3 per person)
Sunday 11 May 2008
These lovely crisp shortbreads were served simply with a glass of whisky – a very good way to finish a meal.
750g/26oz plain flour
500g/16oz cold butter
250g/8oz caster sugar
Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub together with your fingertips – you are aiming for a breadcrumb consistency.
When you reach that stage, add the sugar and rub it in until you have a smooth paste. It will be a little crumbly but that comes from the shortness of the mix. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 8mm-thick and then cut into rounds with a 3cm pastry cutter.
Place on baking trays lined with baking parchment and bake for 10-15 minutes. The shortbread should be very pale, so be careful not to overcook it.
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, study suggests
- 4 Ben Affleck asked TV chiefs to hide slave-owning ancestry, new hacked Sony emails published by Wikileaks claim
- 5 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...