Slow-cooked tamarind beef top rib
Peter Hannan, our beef and pork supplier in Northern Ireland, sent us these lovely cuts of beef from just above the ribs. Ask your butcher for a boneless piece of meat cut above the forerib. It has a great ratio of fat that just melts away when slow cooked.
A piece of top forerib weighing about 1.5kg or more
2tbsp grain mustard
250ml pomegranate molasses or honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
60-80g root ginger, scraped and grated
Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Line a roasting tray with a couple of layers of tin foil to avoid the cooking mixture burning on the tray.
Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, rub into the beef, place on the foil and cook in the oven for about 3 hours, basting and turning every half hour and adding a little water if the liquid is drying out. It should be tender by now, if not, return to the oven until it is. Leave to cool a little and serve thickly sliced.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iJobs Food & Drink
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...