Somerset cherry sour
Saturday 25 June 2011
We have recently persuaded Julian Temperley to bottle his cherries in apple eau de vie in little retail jars called 'Hix Fix Cherries' so that customers can take them home from the restaurant and enjoy a Hix Fix at home – which simply consists of a couple of the cherries in a glass of champagne. I was recently experimenting in Dorset and came up with this new one for our cocktail list as I had a few fresh cherries left over.
For the syrup
350g granulated sugar
1ltr apple juice
For the sour
6 good measures of Somerset Cider Brandy (the 5-year-old is fine for this)
2 egg whites
The juice of 2 lemons
4tsp eau de vie from the cherries
4 cherries in Somerset eau de vie
Put the cherries in a plastic bag and crush them up a bit with a saucepan or rolling pin, then put them in a saucepan with the sugar and apple juice, bring to the boil and simmer very gently for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then strain them through a fine-meshed sieve, pushing the cherries through with the back of a spoon to get the maximum juice and colour out. You can store this in a bottle in the fridge for unexpected cocktail guests dropping in.
Put the cider brandy in a cocktail shaker with the egg whites, lemon juice and eau de vie, add 200ml of the cherry syrup and shake for about 20 seconds. Pour into serving glasses and add a cherry to each one.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 This is what happens when you tattoo Charmander on yourself, drunk, and with no experience
- 2 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...