Southern Indian fish soup
This is a nice simple soup that makes good use of a mixture of fish and shellfish or just shellfish. If you are using prawns and lobster then you can put the shells in the fish stock to beef it up a bit. Like most recipes, you can make it as spicy as you wish – the chilli quantity is up to you.
1tbsp ghee or butter
2 small onions, peeled, halved and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 red chillies, sliced
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp ground cumin
2tsp freshly grated turmeric or 1tsp ground turmeric
A good pinch of saffron strands
1tsp black mustard seeds
1tsp fennel seeds
A small handful of curry leaves
1tsp fenugreek seeds
1tsp tomato paste
1.5ltrs fish stock
1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1cm dice
24 or so mussels, de-bearded
12-16 raw prawns, peeled
120g firm white fish, cut into 1cm chunks
1 large, firm beef tomato, diced
2-3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
100g coconut milk
Heat the ghee in a heavy saucepan and gently cook the onion, garlic, chillies and spices for 3-4 minutes on a low heat. Add the tomato paste, then the fish stock and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add the potato, fish and tomato and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Stir in the coriander and coconut milk, bring back to the boil and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...