Spiced autumn squash soup with fried halloumi
Saturday 18 September 2010
Autumn squashes make a great silky soup. The orange and yellow squashes are more visually appealing, so ask your greengrocer for his advice on colours and flavours or buy a butternut squash which will give guaranteed colour and flavour.
1 small leek, roughly chopped
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 medium chilli, chopped
A couple of good knobs of butter
1kg squash, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
1litre vegetable stock (or good quality cube)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
1tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
1 small red chilli, trimmed, finely chopped
1tbsp chopped coriander
1tbsp olive oil
150g halloumi, cut into rough 1cm chunks
Gently cook the leek, onion and chilli in the butter until softened. Add the squash and stock, bring to the boil, season, then simmer for 20 minutes. Blend the soup in a liquidiser until smooth; strain through a sieve. Fry the halloumi in a little oil until lightly coloured; drain on kitchen paper. Mix the pumpkin seeds, chilli, coriander and olive oil together. Reheat the soup; adjust the consistency with a little vegetable stock or water if necessary. Check the seasoning and serve with a spoonful of the pumpkin seed mixture and the fried halloumi.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 2 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
iJobs Food & Drink
£15310 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£24000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Situated in the heart of Bradfo...
£18750 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Hotel in Chadderton is a popular ch...
£Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing and Co...