Spiced lamb cutlets with cucumber-and-tomato salad
Friday 22 March 2013
These aromatic Indian-inspired cutlets couldn't be easier. All you need is a little rice for the meal to be complete.
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
6 cardamom pods, bashed
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
100g/3½oz plain yoghurt
12 lamb cutlets
1 tbsp olive oil
Handful coriander leaves
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
Plain white rice, to serve
For the salad
1 tsp cumin seeds
100g/3½oz plain yoghurt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
150g/5oz cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cucumber, diced
Place the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and chilli in a frying pan over a medium heat and toast for about 30 seconds, or until they start to release their aroma. Tip the spices into a bowl and stir in the garlic, ginger and yoghurt. Toss k through the lamb, cover, and marinade in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
For the salad, toast the cumin seeds in a frying pan over a low heat until they begin to release their aroma. Stir into a bowl with the remaining ingredients and season with salt. Cover and keep in the fridge until needed.
Preheat the barbecue or heat a frying pan over a high heat. Lift the lamb from its marinade, brushing off any excess yoghurt. Coat the cutlets in olive oil, season with salt and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Serve topped with coriander leaves and sliced onion, with the salad and some plain rice on the side.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Bus...
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...