Spiced scallops and creamed cauliflower
Serves 4 as a starter
Saturday 15 January 2011
Cauliflower purée makes a great accompaniment to fish, meat, poultry and offal; it does the job of a sauce without all that heaviness and richness. Depending on what you are going to serve it with, you could also jazz it up with some cheese or mellow herbs such as chervil, parsley or chives. By roasting the cauliflower first, then blending it, you end up with a completely different flavour so give it a try.
Half a head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into even-sized pieces
12 medium-sized scallops, cut from the shell and cleaned
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1tsp chilli flakes
A little olive oil to serve
Cook the cauliflower in boiling salted water for about 10-12 minutes until it is soft enough to purée. Blend in a food processor or liquidiser until smooth, then transfer to a pan and stir in half of the butter and season to taste.
Season the scallops with salt and the chilli flakes, heat the rest of the butter in a heavy frying pan until foaming, then cook the scallops for a minute on each side, lightly colouring them. To serve, reheat the cauliflower purée and spoon on to warmed serving plates. Arrange the scallops on top, then drizzle a little olive oil around.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...