Squash and wild mushroom salad
Saturday 18 September 2010
Squashes and mushrooms make a terrific salad. I've used pumpkin seed oil here which has a fantastic green tint; but rapeseed or olive oil will do just as well.
1 squash weighing about 1kg, or a selection
A few sprigs of thyme or oregano
4-6tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150-200g wild mushrooms, cleaned and cut into even-sized chunks
A couple of handfuls of small salad leaves
For the dressing
1tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
1tsp grain mustard
2tbsp pumpkin seed or rapeseed oil
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Prepare the squashes by peeling the ones with tougher skins, halving and de-seeding them (leave the skin on the tender ones). Cut them into even-sized pieces and transfer to a roasting tray.
Season and scatter the thyme over, then spoon over a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for about 20-30 minutes, turning every so often, until tender.
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms on a medium heat – seasoning them and turning them as they are cooking – for a few minutes until tender, then mix with the squashes.
Whisk all of the ingredients together for the dressing and season. To serve, arrange the leaves, squashes and mushrooms on serving plates with any cooking juices; spoon over the dressing.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...