Squash and wild mushroom salad
Saturday 18 September 2010
Squashes and mushrooms make a terrific salad. I've used pumpkin seed oil here which has a fantastic green tint; but rapeseed or olive oil will do just as well.
1 squash weighing about 1kg, or a selection
A few sprigs of thyme or oregano
4-6tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150-200g wild mushrooms, cleaned and cut into even-sized chunks
A couple of handfuls of small salad leaves
For the dressing
1tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
1tsp grain mustard
2tbsp pumpkin seed or rapeseed oil
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Prepare the squashes by peeling the ones with tougher skins, halving and de-seeding them (leave the skin on the tender ones). Cut them into even-sized pieces and transfer to a roasting tray.
Season and scatter the thyme over, then spoon over a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for about 20-30 minutes, turning every so often, until tender.
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms on a medium heat – seasoning them and turning them as they are cooking – for a few minutes until tender, then mix with the squashes.
Whisk all of the ingredients together for the dressing and season. To serve, arrange the leaves, squashes and mushrooms on serving plates with any cooking juices; spoon over the dressing.
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
Titanfall: First-person shooter lands with a boom on Xbox One, but will it save Microsoft's console?
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Exc...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...