Squid with grilled red onions and vegetable salsa
Saturday 13 June 2009
I first had grilled onions in a Turkish restaurant in London's Stoke Newington, just sliced and simply grilled with sumac and pomegranate molasses. These are delicious and so simple – and perfect for the barbecue.
2 large red onions, peeled and cut into 1cm-thick slices
4 squid weighing about 150g, cleaned
Vegetable or corn oil for brushing
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salsa
2 large shallots, peeled, halved and finely chopped
1tbsp white wine vinegar
a small cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds scooped out and cut into cm dice
1 small red pepper, halved, seeded and cut into cm dice
10 radishes, cut into small cm dice
1 small bulb of fennel, cut into cm dice
1tbsp green herbs (fennel, chervil, parsley), chopped
4-5tbsp olive oil
First make the salsa: bring the vinegar and shallots to the boil then transfer to a bowl and mix with all of the other ingredients. Preheat the barbecue, lightly brush the onions with oil and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side on a medium heat; then transfer to a serving dish. Cut the squid tubes into 4 evenly sized pieces, season the tubes and tentacles and lightly oil, then cook briefly for just a couple of minutes on each side. Arrange on the onions and spoon the salsa over and around.
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...