Steamed scallop with seashore vegetables
Try to buy medium-sized dived scallops for this dish. You should be able to get your fishmonger to clean them for you, then leave them attached to the half shell with the roe on.
As I've used samphire already, I suggest you use sea spinach or sea aster which can be now bought in decent supermarkets.
4 medium-sized scallops, shucked and left in the half shell
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of seashore vegetables like sea beet, sea aster, sea purslane, etc, washed
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 5. Place the scallops on a baking tray with about a cup's worth of water on the tray. Season the scallops and cover with foil. Place in the oven for about 8-10 minutes until just cooked.
Meanwhile, blanch the sea vegetables in boiling water for about 30 seconds then drain in a colander.
To serve, place the scallop shells on plates, arrange the sea vegetables on the scallops and spoon over a little rapeseed oil.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Why do we have eyebrows? The social significance of our silent communicators
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...