Sticky lemon cake
Sunday 22 March 2009
Perfect for afternoon tea, this moist and slightly sharp cake is completely moreish.
225g/71/2oz caster sugar
260g/81/2oz self-raising flour
A small pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
260g/81/2oz softened, unsalted butter
5 medium eggs
For the syrup
150g/5oz caster sugar
The juice of one lemon
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Line an eight-inch cake tin with baking parchment. Now zest and juice the lemon.
Place the sugar and zest into a food processor and pulse. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the processor, then add the butter.
Keeping the machine running, add the eggs one by one. Process until smooth then pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Smooth the top and place in the oven.
Bake for one hour or until a skewer comes out clean when the centre is pierced.
While the cake is cooking, make the syrup by simply mixing the lemon juice and sugar together. When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and pour the syrup over while the cake is still warm. Serve with crème fraîche.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...