Sticky lemon cake
Sunday 22 March 2009
Perfect for afternoon tea, this moist and slightly sharp cake is completely moreish.
225g/71/2oz caster sugar
260g/81/2oz self-raising flour
A small pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
260g/81/2oz softened, unsalted butter
5 medium eggs
For the syrup
150g/5oz caster sugar
The juice of one lemon
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Line an eight-inch cake tin with baking parchment. Now zest and juice the lemon.
Place the sugar and zest into a food processor and pulse. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the processor, then add the butter.
Keeping the machine running, add the eggs one by one. Process until smooth then pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Smooth the top and place in the oven.
Bake for one hour or until a skewer comes out clean when the centre is pierced.
While the cake is cooking, make the syrup by simply mixing the lemon juice and sugar together. When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and pour the syrup over while the cake is still warm. Serve with crème fraîche.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Teenager dies after suspected ice bucket challenge goes horribly wrong
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...