Sticky lemon cake
Sunday 22 March 2009
Perfect for afternoon tea, this moist and slightly sharp cake is completely moreish.
225g/71/2oz caster sugar
260g/81/2oz self-raising flour
A small pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
260g/81/2oz softened, unsalted butter
5 medium eggs
For the syrup
150g/5oz caster sugar
The juice of one lemon
Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas3. Line an eight-inch cake tin with baking parchment. Now zest and juice the lemon.
Place the sugar and zest into a food processor and pulse. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the processor, then add the butter.
Keeping the machine running, add the eggs one by one. Process until smooth then pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Smooth the top and place in the oven.
Bake for one hour or until a skewer comes out clean when the centre is pierced.
While the cake is cooking, make the syrup by simply mixing the lemon juice and sugar together. When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and pour the syrup over while the cake is still warm. Serve with crème fraîche.
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Livr: A social network only for drunk people
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
International Women's Day 2014: Google creates celebratory video Doodle to mark the day
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...