Sweet rice with cardamom and rosewater
Sunday 23 January 2011
This rice has a very Eastern feel to it – it is a lovely way to finish a meal. Try serving it alongside a glass of fresh mint tea. It is also very nice served slightly chilled in the summer months – on its own or alongside a little just-poached fruit such as nectarines or apricots.
250g/8oz risotto rice
900ml/1 pints whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
The peel of unwaxed lemon
A little pinch of salt
6-8 cardamom pods
200ml/7fl oz double cream
150g/5oz caster sugar
1 tbsp rosewater
Rinse the rice well under cold running water, then place in a heavy-based saucepan.
Add the milk, vanilla pod, lemon peel, salt and cardamom, bring to a boil and immediately turn down to the lowest possible heat.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender but still retains its bite – this should take about 20 minutes.
Now stir in the cream, sugar and rose syrup. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
iJobs Food & Drink
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...