Sweet rice with cardamom and rosewater
Sunday 23 January 2011
This rice has a very Eastern feel to it – it is a lovely way to finish a meal. Try serving it alongside a glass of fresh mint tea. It is also very nice served slightly chilled in the summer months – on its own or alongside a little just-poached fruit such as nectarines or apricots.
250g/8oz risotto rice
900ml/1 pints whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
The peel of unwaxed lemon
A little pinch of salt
6-8 cardamom pods
200ml/7fl oz double cream
150g/5oz caster sugar
1 tbsp rosewater
Rinse the rice well under cold running water, then place in a heavy-based saucepan.
Add the milk, vanilla pod, lemon peel, salt and cardamom, bring to a boil and immediately turn down to the lowest possible heat.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender but still retains its bite – this should take about 20 minutes.
Now stir in the cream, sugar and rose syrup. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
http://www.nyxcosmetics.co.uk/" width="88" height="52" />Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...