Sweet rice with cardamom and rosewater
Sunday 23 January 2011
This rice has a very Eastern feel to it – it is a lovely way to finish a meal. Try serving it alongside a glass of fresh mint tea. It is also very nice served slightly chilled in the summer months – on its own or alongside a little just-poached fruit such as nectarines or apricots.
250g/8oz risotto rice
900ml/1 pints whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
The peel of unwaxed lemon
A little pinch of salt
6-8 cardamom pods
200ml/7fl oz double cream
150g/5oz caster sugar
1 tbsp rosewater
Rinse the rice well under cold running water, then place in a heavy-based saucepan.
Add the milk, vanilla pod, lemon peel, salt and cardamom, bring to a boil and immediately turn down to the lowest possible heat.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender but still retains its bite – this should take about 20 minutes.
Now stir in the cream, sugar and rose syrup. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...