Szechuan peppered beef flank and green onions
Saturday 09 May 2009
This is a kind of Asian steak au poivre sandwich using fragrant szechuan peppercorns instead of normal ones. I'm using beef skirt or hanger steak (onglet) here, as it has much more flavour than any other cut of beef. I've made a wasabi mayonnaise here, or you could use freshly grated horseradish instead.
4 pieces of beef flank (bavette) or hanger (onglet), weighing about 140-150g each
Vegetable or corn oil for brushing
1tbsp of szechuan peppercorns, lightly crushed with the bottom of a saucepan
2-3tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
Wasabi, to taste
16 or so spring onions
1 large baguette
Bash the steaks a little with a steak hammer, then season them with sea salt and the crushed peppercorns. Heat a ribbed griddle pan or heavy frying pan until almost smoking and rub with a little oil. Cook the steaks for about 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness, keeping them nice and rare. Leave to rest for 3-4 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with enough wasabi to taste. Cook the spring onions on the griddle for a couple of minutes, turning them a few times. To serve, cut the baguette into equal pieces and cut in half lengthways.
Spread the bread with the mayonnaise, slice the steak as thinly as possible and arrange on the bread with the onions on top.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...