Saturday 21 November 2009
Thai spices and herbs go really well with mussels and this recipe makes a really refreshing and light starter either served individually or served in a large bowl in the middle of the table for people to help themselves to. Thai herbs and spices are fairly easy to get hold of these days and some supermarkets even sell packets of galangal, lemon grass and lime leaves all ready to go.
2kg live mussels, bearded and washed
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 sticks of lemon grass, trimmed and finely chopped
40g galangal or root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
2 medium chillies, trimmed and sliced
4-6 lime leaves
3-4tbsp fish sauce
500ml fish stock
250ml of coconut milk
A handful of coriander leaves
A handful of Thai basil leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion, garlic, lemon grass, galangal and chilli for 2-3 minutes on a low heat. Add the lime leaves, fish sauce and fish stock and simmer gently for 5 minutes, then dilute the cornflour in a little water and stir in and simmer for another 5 minutes. Whisk in the coconut milk, season, add the mussels, cover and cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring every so often until the mussels have all opened, then stir in the coriander and basil leaves and serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...