The Life Kitchen: Slow-roast pork belly with gorgonzola and apple cabbage
Thursday 16 October 2008
Although it needs three hours slow roasting, the beauty of this cut of pork is that it looks after itself. As the fat melts it bastes the meat, leaving the joint so soft it carves with a spoon.
INGREDIENTS TO SERVE 4:
* 1kg (21/4lb) belly of pork, skin scored
* sea salt and pepper
* vegetable oil
* 20 shallots, peeled
* 300ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
* a pinch of demerara sugar
* 1 small cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
* 25g (1oz) butter
* 2 apples, grated
* 100g (4oz) room-temperature gorgonzola, broken into pieces
Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3.
Season the meat side of the pork belly and place, skin-side up, on a wire rack over a roasting tray. Brush with oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast for three hours before removing and leaving to rest.
Finely slice four of the shallots, placing the rest in a saucepan with the stock and sugar. Simmer the shallots until soft and the cooking liquor has reduced leaving a nice shiny glaze. Meanwhile, boil the cabbage in salted water for a few minutes until tender.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sliced shallots and cook until they begin to soften. Add the apple, before stirring in the cabbage and seasoning. The gorgonzola can now be stirred in, melting as it warms.
Cut the crackling from the belly, snapping it into large pieces. Carve the pork in thick slices, dividing it between plates with a spoonful of the cabbage and the shallots.
Taken from 'Gary Rhodes 365' (Penguin/Michael Joseph, £25)
Life & Style blogs
WWE 2K15 gameplay trailer: First look at Sting, Triple H and Daniel Bryan in next-gen graphics
Maytree charity: Sanctuary for the suicidal - one mother's story
iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
First day of Autumn: Google Doodle celebrates 2014 Autumn equinox
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 Y-40 Deep Joy: This is the world's deepest swimming pool
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Syria air strikes: President Obama undergoes Damascene conversion as Isis forces America to change tack
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years
iJobs Food & Drink
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£50 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Affiliate Marketing Manager / Affiliate Mana...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...