The Life Kitchen: Slow-roast pork belly with gorgonzola and apple cabbage
Thursday 16 October 2008
Although it needs three hours slow roasting, the beauty of this cut of pork is that it looks after itself. As the fat melts it bastes the meat, leaving the joint so soft it carves with a spoon.
INGREDIENTS TO SERVE 4:
* 1kg (21/4lb) belly of pork, skin scored
* sea salt and pepper
* vegetable oil
* 20 shallots, peeled
* 300ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
* a pinch of demerara sugar
* 1 small cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
* 25g (1oz) butter
* 2 apples, grated
* 100g (4oz) room-temperature gorgonzola, broken into pieces
Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3.
Season the meat side of the pork belly and place, skin-side up, on a wire rack over a roasting tray. Brush with oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast for three hours before removing and leaving to rest.
Finely slice four of the shallots, placing the rest in a saucepan with the stock and sugar. Simmer the shallots until soft and the cooking liquor has reduced leaving a nice shiny glaze. Meanwhile, boil the cabbage in salted water for a few minutes until tender.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sliced shallots and cook until they begin to soften. Add the apple, before stirring in the cabbage and seasoning. The gorgonzola can now be stirred in, melting as it warms.
Cut the crackling from the belly, snapping it into large pieces. Carve the pork in thick slices, dividing it between plates with a spoonful of the cabbage and the shallots.
Taken from 'Gary Rhodes 365' (Penguin/Michael Joseph, £25)
Life & Style blogs
Dating site hack reveals sexual secrets of 4 million users
Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
Near-death experiences: what it feels like to die
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's but is told homeless people cannot be served under 'new policy'
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 3 Group of students refused entry to Leicester nightclub 'because they are black'
- 4 Irish people are travelling home from all over the world so they can vote to legalise gay marriage
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...