The Life Kitchen: Slow-roast pork belly with gorgonzola and apple cabbage
Thursday 16 October 2008
Although it needs three hours slow roasting, the beauty of this cut of pork is that it looks after itself. As the fat melts it bastes the meat, leaving the joint so soft it carves with a spoon.
INGREDIENTS TO SERVE 4:
* 1kg (21/4lb) belly of pork, skin scored
* sea salt and pepper
* vegetable oil
* 20 shallots, peeled
* 300ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
* a pinch of demerara sugar
* 1 small cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
* 25g (1oz) butter
* 2 apples, grated
* 100g (4oz) room-temperature gorgonzola, broken into pieces
Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3.
Season the meat side of the pork belly and place, skin-side up, on a wire rack over a roasting tray. Brush with oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast for three hours before removing and leaving to rest.
Finely slice four of the shallots, placing the rest in a saucepan with the stock and sugar. Simmer the shallots until soft and the cooking liquor has reduced leaving a nice shiny glaze. Meanwhile, boil the cabbage in salted water for a few minutes until tender.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sliced shallots and cook until they begin to soften. Add the apple, before stirring in the cabbage and seasoning. The gorgonzola can now be stirred in, melting as it warms.
Cut the crackling from the belly, snapping it into large pieces. Carve the pork in thick slices, dividing it between plates with a spoonful of the cabbage and the shallots.
Taken from 'Gary Rhodes 365' (Penguin/Michael Joseph, £25)
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £21000 per annum + Basic salary +incentives: FCm Travel Solutions: FC...
£54000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Glo...
£27000 - £27500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Glo...
£30000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Flight Centre's e-c...