Toasted Taleggio and sage sandwiches
Makes 6 little sandwiches
Sunday 19 December 2010
Serve these straight from the pan while the cheese is still melting and piping-hot. Sometimes I lay one or two anchovies on top of the cheese along with the sage to give a saltiness and depth.
2 slices of sourdough bread, each one-eighth-of-an-inch thick
2 tbsp olive oil
2 slices of Taleggio, eighth-of-an-inch thick
Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
8 sage leaves
4 anchovies, chopped
Place a medium-sized, non-stick pan over a medium heat. Lay the bread on a board and brush each piece with a little olive oil.
Place the rest of the oil into the pan. Lay the Taleggio slices on the bread and scatter the sage on top.
Add the anchovies, if using. Season well with salt and pepper, and place another slice of bread on top.
Press down firmly using your hands. Turn down the heat to low and lay the sandwiches in the warm pan.
Cook for a minute or two then turn and cook the other side. The bread should be golden-brown and the cheese melting and oozing from the sides.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Scottish independence: Former pro-union voters explain why they changed their minds to the Yes vote
- 3 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 4 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 5 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
iJobs Food & Drink
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...
£30K- £35K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...