Tomatoes on toast with basil oil and fromage blanc
Sunday 05 June 2011
Home-grown tomatoes properly ripened in the sun, plucked when warm and sweet, are one of my favourite of all things that are available at this time of year. I have three or four varieties growing this year in my garden but there are so many more to choose from. This is a good quick lunch.
For the basil oil
1 large bunch of basil
200ml/7fl oz mild extra-virgin olive oil
A pinch of sea salt
Break off the leaves of the basil and discard the stalks. Place in a food processor and pour the olive oil over. Pulse until almost smooth. Season with the salt and set aside.
4 one-inch slices of crusty, peasant-style bread
1 whole clove of garlic peeled
1 tbsp peppery olive oil
Grill the bread until golden-brown, rub gently with the garlic, drizzle over the oil and season with a little salt.
6 ripe tomatoes of any variety
4 tbsp fromage blanc or any light young cheese
Slice the tomatoes, and arrange on top of the toast. Spoon over the basil oil and arrange the young cheese (and a few black olives if you fancy) on top. Serve.
Life & Style blogs
Caitlyn Jenner: Twitter bot created to remind social media users to use the right pronouns
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
Not brushing your teeth can lead to dementia and heart disease
Insomnia could be cured with one simple therapy session, new study claims
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 2 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
- 3 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 4 Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid
- 5 We have six months to save the world, says leading economist
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...