Sunday 11 January 2009
Deliciously sticky and sweet, very old-fashioned and comforting, this tart is best served with lots of good-quality pouring cream. Warm is best as well, as it can feel slightly heavy when eaten cold.
Pastry (see related links)
400g/13oz treacle or golden syrup
200g/7oz fresh white breadcrumbs
The zest of 2 lemons
Place the treacle or golden syrup into a small pan over a low heat. Heat until the syrup becomes thinner and softer, and hot, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and pour in the breadcrumbs and the lemon zest.
Stir well to combine – it should be quite thick. Pour into the cooled, blind-baked tart tin and place on to the middle shelf of the oven.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is loosely set: the top should be golden-brown.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Slice and pass around a jug of pouring cream, so that people may help themselves.
Life & Style blogs
Miley Cyrus' VMA outfits spark copying controversy
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...