Sunday 11 January 2009
Deliciously sticky and sweet, very old-fashioned and comforting, this tart is best served with lots of good-quality pouring cream. Warm is best as well, as it can feel slightly heavy when eaten cold.
Pastry (see related links)
400g/13oz treacle or golden syrup
200g/7oz fresh white breadcrumbs
The zest of 2 lemons
Place the treacle or golden syrup into a small pan over a low heat. Heat until the syrup becomes thinner and softer, and hot, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and pour in the breadcrumbs and the lemon zest.
Stir well to combine – it should be quite thick. Pour into the cooled, blind-baked tart tin and place on to the middle shelf of the oven.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is loosely set: the top should be golden-brown.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Slice and pass around a jug of pouring cream, so that people may help themselves.
Life & Style blogs
American Apparel makes 15-year-old YouTube star Brendan Jordan the face of its new campaign
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy nurse who killed herself in a Swiss clinic accused of doing it for 'publicity'
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
- 1 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
iJobs Food & Drink
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Plumber / Mainten...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...