Saturday 19 May 2012
These are perfect to serve with ice-cream and sorbets. Start by making a circular template from an old plastic container(an ice-cream box lid, for instance). It needs to be roughly the size of a cereal bowl – it's handy if you leave a thumb-sized piece at the end to hold on to.Cut out a hole in the centre to about 1cm from the edge, and you have a template over which to spread the mix. Keep it in a safe place with your pastry cutters for next time.
90g icing sugar
90g unsalted butter, softened
1 egg white
A couple of drops of good-quality vanilla essence
A pinch of salt
90g plain flour, sieved
1-2tbsp raspberry purée (see above)
In a bowl with a wooden spoon, beat the icing sugar, butter, vanilla essence and salt together for a minute or so. Gradually add the egg white and then fold in the flour. Store in the fridge until required.
Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Place the template on a non-stick oven tray, or a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Spread a thin layer of the mix over the template then lift it up. Drizzle about half a teaspoon of the raspberry purée on the mix and lightly spread it a little with the back of the teaspoon to form a streaky effect. Repeat to fill the tray; bake for 5-6 minutes. Leave to cool if you want flat biscuits, or roll them over a rolling pin or bottle to make them curved.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...