Saturday 19 May 2012
These are perfect to serve with ice-cream and sorbets. Start by making a circular template from an old plastic container(an ice-cream box lid, for instance). It needs to be roughly the size of a cereal bowl – it's handy if you leave a thumb-sized piece at the end to hold on to.Cut out a hole in the centre to about 1cm from the edge, and you have a template over which to spread the mix. Keep it in a safe place with your pastry cutters for next time.
90g icing sugar
90g unsalted butter, softened
1 egg white
A couple of drops of good-quality vanilla essence
A pinch of salt
90g plain flour, sieved
1-2tbsp raspberry purée (see above)
In a bowl with a wooden spoon, beat the icing sugar, butter, vanilla essence and salt together for a minute or so. Gradually add the egg white and then fold in the flour. Store in the fridge until required.
Preheat the oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Place the template on a non-stick oven tray, or a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Spread a thin layer of the mix over the template then lift it up. Drizzle about half a teaspoon of the raspberry purée on the mix and lightly spread it a little with the back of the teaspoon to form a streaky effect. Repeat to fill the tray; bake for 5-6 minutes. Leave to cool if you want flat biscuits, or roll them over a rolling pin or bottle to make them curved.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...