Cooking for children
Trying to get children to eat vegetables can be a complete waste of time; still, blending seasonal vegetables into a soup can be a tasty option which goes down well with the little blighters. You can vary the vegetables according to what you've got in the fridge.
1 onion, peeled, halved and roughly chopped
1 leek, halved lengthways, roughly chopped, and washed
2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
A couple of sprigs of thyme
A couple of good knobs of butter
1.5ltrs vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Cream to finish (optional)
Gently cook all of the vegetables in the butter in a covered pan for 3-4 minutes, add the stock, season, bring to the boil; simmer for 30 minutes. Blend as smoothly or as coarsely as you wish; strain through a sieve if necessary. Re-season and finish with cream if required.
To see Mark Hix's exclusive cookery videos, see http://www.independent.co.uk/hixcooks
Life & Style blogs
Karl Lagerfeld's famous cat made £2m last year - that's more than Cara Delevingne earned
Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
Fast food Britain: The number of takeaways soars across the nation's high streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Apple Watch: What is it good for?
- 1 Rape threats, death threats and a police investigation after video poking fun at an Islamic Party in Malaysia goes viral
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Wakefield Deal...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: our .NET Developers / Software Dev...
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...