Venison cutlets with sweet and sour cherries
Saturday 25 June 2011
I was recently sent some lovely racks of venison from Donald Russell – game is a very good partner for cherries.
8 venison cutlets
A little vegetable or corn oil for brushing
25-30 cherries, halved and stoned
2-3 shallots, peeled, finely chopped
A knob of butter
250ml beef stock
2tbsp red wine vinegar
1tbsp redcurrant jelly
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Gently cook the shallots in the butter for a minute, add the flour then gradually stir in the beef stock. Bring to the boil; simmer for 10 minutes.
In another pan, boil the red wine vinegar and redcurrant jelly until you have about a tablespoon of liquid left; add to the sauce with the cherries. Simmer for another 5 minutes. The sauce should have thickened. If not, remove the cherries and continue to simmer the sauce until it thickens, then return the cherries to the sauce and season to taste.
Preheat a ribbed griddle pan or barbecue, brush the cutlets with a little oil and season to taste. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side depending on the thickness, keeping them pink.
Spoon the cherries and sauce on warmed serving plates; arrange the cutlets on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...