Welsh rabbit fondue
Saturday 27 February 2010
I was in Mark's Bar in the Brewer Street restaurant recently when I had a "fondue moment". You may remember a column I wrote a few years back in which I said I thought it was due for a comeback. Perhaps I have been proved wrong on that front, but I still live in hope...
100ml stout or Guinness
2tsp English mustard, plus more if required
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce; more if needed
100ml double cream
70-80g grated cheddar cheese
A good pinch of cayenne pepper
4-5 slices of bread, cut into bite-sized chunks
Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir on a low heat for 20 seconds. Whisk in the milk and stout, bring to the boil, add the mustard, season and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Add the Worcestershire sauce and double cream and simmer for another 5 minutes, add ¾ of the cheese, re-season if necessary and add a little more cheese and mustard if it needs it.
Add the cayenne to season. Toast the bread under the grill, then remove from the heat and scatter the remaining cheese over the bread. Serve the fondue hot, preferably on a table heater, with the chunks of bread separately using long forks or skewers.
Life & Style blogs
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
MIT robots can now clear hurdles as they run
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Reproduction: how much do you remember from your biology GCSE?
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...