Whiting with orange and dill
Not only is fresh whiting a great fish to serve raw like this – or in ceviche – but it's currently very cheap. As more people use it as an alternative white fish, it may only be a matter of time before the price of whiting gradually increases, but that's no bad thing because it eases the pressure on other, more popular species.
Try to buy large fish as you will get better slices for this dish. If you are not too handy with a filleting knife, then get your fishmonger to fillet, skin and bone it so you just have to thinly slice it.
You can also use lime or grapefruit for this recipe instead of orange.
300-350g whiting fillet, skinned and boned
The juice and segments of 1 orange, with the outer skin of the segments peeled off and the flesh roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A few sprigs of dill, washed and picked into small pieces
Slice the whiting fillets as thinly as you can on the angle with a sharp knife, and arrange flat on cold serving plates. Afterwards cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge until required.
Season the fish and spoon the orange juice over it evenly, then leave to stand for 5 minutes.
Scatter the orange segments over the dish followed by the dill and serve.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...