Whole roasted mackerel with cucumber and mint salad
I think that mackerel is such a beautiful looking fish, with its distinctive black and blue colourings and its mini, tuna-like body. I like cooking them whole like this in my wood-fired oven in Dorset – they just curve gently round the edge of a cast-iron frying pan as they cook in a couple of minutes in the intense heat.
4 mackerel, weighing about 200-250g each, gutted
A little vegetable or corn oil for brushing
2 medium shallots or a small red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
A small handful of mint leaves
The juice of half a lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
Cut the cucumber into 4-5cm lengths, then stand them on their ends and cut thin slices down on each side, avoiding the seeds and discarding them. Cut the slices into thin strips and mix them in a bowl with the shallots, mint leaves and lemon and season to taste.
Brush the mackerel with a little oil and season. Curve them around a round, oiled oven dish or frying pan and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until they are just cooked.
Serve with the salad.
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Paris Fashion Week: Karl Lagerfeld leads a feminist riot on 'Boulevard Chanel'
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Windows 10 release: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' with new operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...