Say hola to the new burrito conquistadors
Monday 23 July 2012
Does Britain need any more fast-food joints? We're OK, thanks. But the news that US/Mexican-food chain Chipotle is on a European expansion drive (it currently has just three London stores and one in Paris and plans to open hundreds more), gives pause for thought.
Why? Well in the great fast-food-vs-the-world debate they've often seemed to be on the side of the angels. Despite some of its burritos (their speciality along with tacos) having 1,000 calories in them – and McDonald's being an early investor (it's since sold up) – they've also run ad campaigns highlighting the plight of small farmers and committed themselves to using only grass-fed meat.
So the benefit of the doubt may just be in order. Let's just hope they don't open any new restaurants in London during the Olympics – the store gives police in the US a 50 per cent reduction. With the Games' heavy security presence, it might cause a stampede.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Labour rallies behind Flint as deputy leader to offset a Corbyn win
- 2 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
iJobs Food & Drink
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Product Manager / Product Owner is required to jo...
£25k plus Benefits: Guru Careers: A Carpenter and Maintenance Operator is need...