Say hola to the new burrito conquistadors
Monday 23 July 2012
Does Britain need any more fast-food joints? We're OK, thanks. But the news that US/Mexican-food chain Chipotle is on a European expansion drive (it currently has just three London stores and one in Paris and plans to open hundreds more), gives pause for thought.
Why? Well in the great fast-food-vs-the-world debate they've often seemed to be on the side of the angels. Despite some of its burritos (their speciality along with tacos) having 1,000 calories in them – and McDonald's being an early investor (it's since sold up) – they've also run ad campaigns highlighting the plight of small farmers and committed themselves to using only grass-fed meat.
So the benefit of the doubt may just be in order. Let's just hope they don't open any new restaurants in London during the Olympics – the store gives police in the US a 50 per cent reduction. With the Games' heavy security presence, it might cause a stampede.
Life & Style blogs
Free the internet from commercial interests, says Martha Lane Fox
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about the iconic structure
Contents of women's handbags can be worth more than a small car
Gold Apple Watch buyers can skip queues
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 4 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 5 Dylan Moran on quitting smoking, being about as sexy as the Pope and why comedy panel programmes are 'c*ck shows'
iJobs Food & Drink
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...