The crunch bunch: Steak on a budget
Thursday 08 January 2009
Bill's Produce Store
The Depot, 100 North Road, Brighton, tel: 01273 692 894
The people who haunt this deli/café can be divided into two groups: those here for the fabulous cakes; and those here for the £8.75 peppered-steak focaccia sandwich
12 Barclay Terrace, Edinburgh, tel: 0131 229 1394
Geoff and Kate Ness's friendly American-style restaurant is famous for its prime Scottish steaks. Rump with coleslaw and chips or buttered potatoes is just £10.95
Hix Oyster & Chop House
36-37 Greenhill Rents, Cowcross Street, London EC1, tel: 020 7017 1930
A full-flavoured hanger steak served with a halved, stuffed marrowbone is £14.90, although some have been known to drop £63 on the porterhouse for two
Read 'Eat', Terry Durack's blog, at independent.co.uk/eat
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...